In January 0f 2011, I ran my first half marathon… on a cold and windy day… in Chicago. And I loved every minute of it.
It was the race’s 2nd annual running, and I immediately became a fan of the race that’s known as F^3 (or, F***ing Freezing Frozen Lake Half Marathon).
1. It was grass roots.
2. It was small.
3. I made some really good friends, including Race Director Kimberley Stedman and fellow runner Sue Gelber, pictured with me in this post.
4. I got to brag about what a bad ass I was (from training runs through the snow, wind and ice, to finishing the race).
I loved it so much, that this year (after I was one of the first people to sign up) I was invited to become a race ambassador.
Because I used to be a journalist, I feel strongly that you should know a few things about my being a race ambassador. In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, here’s what you should know when you read my posts:
1. I absolutely will not write about anything I believe to be misleading or untrue. I also will not say that I like a something when I don’t, or if I don’t have any experience/knowledge with/of it. My opinions are still mine and mine alone.
2. I have been given complimentary training with the Chicago Area Runners Association during it’s Winter Half Marathon program. F^3 is the program’s goal race this year. (I did pay to join CARA.)
3. I paid to enter the race, but
it’s possible I will be I was refunded.
4. I will be given a discount when I shop at Universal Sole Running Store. (I have shopped there several times before becoming involved with F^3, and have previously participated in one of their fun runs and and recommended them to friends.)
5. I will be given F^3-branded Mizuno apparel (I have been a fan of Mizuno products for a long time. I have worn Mizuno Wave running shoes for a year. I have previously bought two pairs of their thermal breath pants, and have recommended them to friends before becoming involved with F^3.)
6. I have an opportunity to win some Mizuno gear if my team averages the fastest time or has the highest turn out on race day.
That’s about it. Thanks for reading. And if you decide to do F^3 this year, you better sign up with my team or say that I, @fmyinjury, referred you. :)
2012 Race Details
Date: Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012 @ 10 a.m.
Distances: Half Marathon and 5K
Registration fee: $69
Where to sign up: f3running.com
Location: Start and finish at Foster Avenue Beach, Chicago
Other: There will be finishers medals